2018-04-05 / Front Page

Tea House Given Green Light

The Chinese Tea House on the grounds of Marble House mansion, where The Preservation Society has received Planning Board approval to sell pre-packaged food and drinks. The Tea House, modeled on 12th century Song Dynasty temples, was added by Alva Vanderbilt on the seaside cliff of Marble House, which was completed in 1892. Vanderbilt hosted rallies for women's suffrage at the Tea House, after her remarriage to Oliver Hazard Perry Belmont. The Tea House was designed by the New York architectural firm of Richard Howland Hunt and Joseph Howland Hunt, after a member of their firm visited China to study and sketch pavilions there. Marble House, located at 596 Bellevue Ave., is open to the public as a museum run by the Preservation Society of Newport County, which has owned it since 1963. (Photo courtesy the Preservation Society of Newport County)

Return to top