2013-12-27 / Wellness

Newport Fire Incident Run Report

During the period from Monday, Dec. 16 through Sunday, Dec. 22 the Newport Fire Department responded to a total of 109 calls. Of those, 60 were emergency medical calls, resulting in 50 patients being transported to the hospital. Additionally, 3 patients refused aid once EMS arrived on the scene.

Fire apparatus was used for 109 responses: • Station 1 - Headquarters/Rescue1 and 3 responded to 50 calls • Station 1 - Engine 1 and 6 responded to 38 calls • Station 2 - Old Fort Road Rescue 2 responded to 15 calls • Station 2 - Old Fort Road Engine 2 responded to 11 calls • Station 5 - Touro Street/Engine 3 and 5 responded to 30 calls

Specific situations fire apparatus was used for include:

1 - Cooking fire

1 - Smoke scare

3 - Electrical wiring, equipment problem

2- Lockouts

3 - Carbon monoxide detector activation

2 - Assist public calls

11 - Fire alarm soundings

- no fire

11 - Fire alarm malfunctions

- no fire

46- Engine assist on EMS call

In the category of fire prevention, the department performed 12 smoke alarm / CO inspections prior to property sales, 15 life safety / site inspections, 4 fire system plan reviews, and conducted 1 propane tank installation inspection.

FIRE PREVENTION MESSAGE: Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly, colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. It is produced by the incomplete burning of various fuels, including coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane, and natural gas. Faulty, improperly used, or incorrectly-vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters, and fireplaces are often the cause of elevated levels of CO in the home. The initial symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). They include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness. High level CO poisoning results in progressively more severe symptoms, including mental confusion, vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, loss of consciousness, and ultimately death. Every home should have a working CO detector installed outside of the bedrooms on each sleeping level. If the detector sounds, leave the house immediately and call 911.

Information provided by

FM Wayne Clark

Return to top